Wednesday 1 May 2013

I-ROK (Truncation)

Should we worry that the representations of our lives are becoming increasingly truncated?

Or should we breathe a sigh of relief because we're too self-effacing (too Canadian?) to tell our own stories in full?

Or is it just the more selfish possibility that we're just not particularly interested in hearing others tell their stories? ...People can be sooooo long-winded. (People other than me, that is.)

I ask because there have been media reports lately, and consequently much discussion in the twitterverse about applying for jobs by Twitter or by Vine - ie, 140 characters or 6 seconds to establish why you are the best candidate.

...because our lives and our value can be reduced to 140 characters or 6 seconds.  Anything more is just hubris.  Right?



Hmmmm, I'm not so sure.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm pro self-effacing and anti hubris. Plus I love Twitter. It's a great way to hear about breaking news (accurate, inaccurate, whatever...) and to learn from smart people on topics of interest. 

Best of all, Twitter loves me back.  It constantly contacts me with emails about other people and organizations that I might want to follow.  Such attention makes me feel special. And special is good.

Plus, I can honestly say that I've learned a lot in the few months that I've made a concerted effort to be engaged on Twitter and follow interesting people.

BUT (and there is always a 'but'...), I don't expect that 140 characters is enough to inform me, excite me, or change my opinion.  Although it might make me laugh (The Onion headlines being a case in point), I am looking for the meat - the embedded link that takes me to a thoughtful piece that does one or more of: Informing; Exciting; or Changing my Opinion

If the media conversation was about using Twitter as a teaser to link to a fuller resume, maybe I would understand.  But many of the comments seem to suggest that, other than the highlight reel (140 characters/6 seconds), there isn't much more that employers want to see.

But c'mon.  Even a short commercial on the web is 15 seconds.  Shouldn't we get at least 15 seconds to sell our 'brand' (which is, BTW, waaaaaaaaay less than Warhol's 15 minutes of fame)?

I'm not asking for the Super Bowl 30 seconds, since I'd probably just pull a Michael Jackson/Pepsi and end up with my hair on fire.  But could I get at least just 15 seconds and something more than 140 characters?

Sigh. 

Since I know where this is going and see that attention spans will become even shorter than they already are, herewith my personal haiku (5/7/5) promoting the essence of me and my marketability:
 
Lesley is awesome
She is super-fabulous
Love her like we do

Namaste.











No comments:

Post a Comment